One of the common Complaints raised by People in India is that Doctors Appointments are delayed
In fact, it is one of the very few True Allegations in Health Care. Most of Allegations against doctors and Hospitals in India are fake and frivolous
The reasons for delay in Appointments are
1. Emergency :
The Doctor would have planned to start the OP at 7 PM. But if a patient in throws fits or becomes unconscious, he has to be attended first. So the OP Appointments will be delayed
2. Emergency Surgeries :
The Doctor would have planned to start the OP at 7 PM. But if a patient from a two wheeler accident is brought at 5 PM he has to be operated. So the OP Appointments will be delayed
Now Comes a useless Question asked by people without common sense “Why can’t you inform” When called to see a patient who is bleeding, has feeble pulse and requires immediate treatment, the entire focus of the doctor would be and must be on saving the life and not checking the appointment calendar and calling each person
It requires only minimal common sense to understand this
It requires Selfishness of the highest order to expect a doctor come to his OP, take his appointment diary, call each of those who have fixed appointment, and inform them and then go and treat the patient.
Health care resources not infinite. They are are scarce. The available doctors time and hospital infrastructure are limited and are not adequate for the demand. Hence, it is the duty of every citizen to share this meager resources with his fellow citizen. If you come to the hospital, please keep away your greed and selfishness.
As I have been writing again and again, most problems in health care in India are because the PATIENTS are GREEDY and SELFISH. They do not understand that a hospital or doctor is for every one. They want immediate and superlative treatment for them. This is the root cause of all problems in healthcare. Sadly, very few understand this. And even fewer people accept this. They are happy to level all blames on doctors and hospitals without even sparing a second to reflect what is the fault from patient’s side that is contributing to the mess
It goes without saying that any doctors appointment may be delayed by 2 hours
A Delay of 2 hours is the norm rather than exception
If you are not able to understand this and if you are not able to accept it
Please get treated from Countries like USA or UK
Specialists do not attend emergency on first call, and where you cannot have OP on Weekends and where you need to wait for 2 months to get a Specialist Appointment
It takes two months to get the appointment date, but the doctor will see you at the right minute
You can see a specialist the same day, or at the maximum next day, but the appointment may be on time, or delayed by 5 minutes to 3 hours
Which is better ?
It requires only minimal common sense to know that the Indian setup is better
3. Patient Coming Late
A doctor may Consult in One Hospital from 5 to 7 AM and the next Hospital from 7:30 to 9:30 PM
A patient who has appointment at 6:30 will call him at 6:40 and say that he is delayed due to traffic jam and is just round the corner and will come by 5 minutes. The doctor will wait. The patient would then start from his home and come by 7:15
All the appointments in the Second Hospital will be delayed
Whose fault is this ?
4. Getting Appointment for one person, but consulting for five people
Lots of people get appointment. T for one person, but along with him, four other friends or family come in and they want to become healthy
What do you expect the doctor to do ?
To Treat them
To Bluntly Say that “I can see only one. The Other Four Get Lost”
Just ask your conscience ?
5. Patient shouting over 5 minutes delay
In many cases, there would have been a five minutes delay. But one Smarta** would make a big fuss and it will take doctors 15 minutes to calm him
In the end, the other appointments will be delayed by 20 (5+15) minutes
6. If there is a child or old age patient, or a patient with cancer the doctor has the right to attend to them first. If there is a follow up patient he or she may be called first.
If you are booking an appointment
1. Expect that to be delayed by 2 to 3 hours in case of unforeseen emergencies
2. Keep Calm. Don’t make a fuss. Don’t call the Doctor on Mobile. The delay is because doctor attending some other emergency. And If you have fixed an appointment for your friend and if your friend says that he or she is waiting in the hospital, please don’t call the doctor to enquire. It wastes everyone’s time. Patiently explain to the greedy and selfish friend and ask him to her to wait
3. Remember that you have come to become healthy. You cannot BUY Health like you buy Mobiles, Cars, Dress. In an hospital, the resources are scarce and will be used to save lives. If you have a big ego, keep it in home. Don’t expect the doctor or hospital staff to spend their valuable time in massaging your useless bloated egos instead of saving a live. And hence do not demand that you will be called and informed about few minutes delay like what they do in Civilian Flights.